Thursday, June 9, 2011

Cabin Work Day

Every year there is a Cabin Work Day for all the people who own cabins in the Weber Meadowview Ranch association and since my Grandpa's cabin is there all the kids, grandkids, and grandkids spouses that can make it, come up and help fix things up. Usually this involves clearing out deadfall, stringing barb wire fences, supervising the burn pile, fixing the ditches and general clean up around the property or, for my mom and I, it was more like cleaning the windows, vacuuming the red shag carpet (it's awesome!), and general clean-up in the cabin. I was on kid duty last weekend so I spent time coloring in old coloring books with my niece and nephew, Parker and Halle, playing pick-up sticks, inventing a new kind of Rummikub game, making sure Ethan didn't eat any of the vintage toys that have collected there over the years, and holding the ladder so my mom could clean the upper story windows.


After we finished up at the cabin, we headed over my Uncle Dave and Aunt Chris's cabin next door and spent the warm afternoon lounging on their deck and chatting with my cousins.
Ethan loves sitting with Grandma Sue
He didn't get a morning nap so he was all tuckered out by lunch time.

I'm pretty sure I got a tiny bit of a sunburn across my nose and cheeks, which was nice since there's no chance of that happening in Logan with all the rain. I'm starting to forget what the sun feels like since we rarely see it in Cache Valley...

Anyway, after the men were all finished doing the heavy labor we all met up for a big association potluck lunch. 
Ethan got to sit with Grandpa Foster
He was very happy about this!
Unfortunately, the horses hadn't been brought down from Uncle Dave's house in Idaho yet so Ethan's first horseback ride will have to wait a few more weeks. Not to mention, my first horseback ride in almost 2 years. Needless to say, I'm very excited to go riding again. I haven't been since summer of  2009. Ughh. I can't believe it's been so long! I have a good excuse for last year though, I was 9 months pregnant and then in recovery for the rest of the summer. No horseback riding allowed.

So instead of riding horses, we substituted for riding the Gator.
I thought the noise would bother him but that wasn't why he was crying...
He only cried when we stopped. 

Don't worry, baby! We'll go back in a few weeks so you can go for another ride!

2 comments:

Rick and Camille said...

How fun! I too miss the sunshine in Logan- I wish we would at least get 1 week of sunny days! Ethan is so cute, I love the pictures!

Katie Johnson said...

No sunshine huh? Are you sure you're not in Portland? Ethan is so stinking cute! I love him riding the tractor!