Thursday, May 26, 2011

Crafts for the Less than Crafty

Lately, I've been particularly obsessed with this....
That's right, folks. It's a glue gun. And not just any glue gun. It's a MINI glue gun! MINI! Okay, fine. Roll your eyes and repeat after me, "Heather, you are crazy!"  It's okay. It's in a good way.

I have never owned a glue gun. I've used plenty of them in the past, but never one that I owned. So a few week ago, as I was meandering the Hobby Lobby (man, I love that store), I found these adorable little glue guns. Only $2.99. And it was love. Seriously. Think of all the crafts that are waiting for me........to procrastinate (Yes, I am famous for this).The possibilities are practically endless.

Let's put it this way--I have a several baby wipe boxes, old plastic bins, and shoe boxes simply stuffed full of fabric scraps, new fabric, and fabric I mooched off my mom (Thanks Mom! I love you!) that call to me as I sit at my desk.
I dream of organization.
Yes, this is my desk. Yes, that is a door and it's right next to our real front door. Confusing? Yes. Especially because the doorbell is next to the other front door and not the real front door (The poor UPS man gets so confused). Is it practical? No. But it used to be. Our house used to be a duplex. Yep, our little house, a duplex. Honestly, I'm not sure how. It's not like our house is very big. I think our house had delusions of grandeur....

Anywho, I digress. Back to my desk. As I sit at my craft desk (another shout out to my Mom who found this gem), I see that box of scraps and think, "I really should do something more with that stuff." So I did what any great DIY-er would do, I googled fabric projects.  And what did I find? Awesome stuff.

Like this Fabric Flower Ring, which I tried out. Love it. Isn't it cute?
Or the Scrap Fabric Bracelet, which are so easy to make!

And this Little Guy tie, which Ethan will proudly wear (although not the brown one cause its for 0-6 months). I only screwed up on this project about 7 times each before figuring out that A) I am horrible at hidden stitching and B) Iron-on velcro is really easy to accidentally iron on to your iron. At least the end product is pretty cute. 
Isn't my model super cute?
  My next project will be this Jersey Knit Bracelet. 

I was already familiar with the technique needed to make these bracelets. My cousin April and I used to get skeins of yarn and make incredibly long chains of this on our family vacation to and from Lake Powell. A 4- to 5- hour car ride makes for one really, really, really long finger-knitted yarn chain. I still don't know what we ever did with our chains. I recall thinking that I should turn my mile-long chains into a rug or something, but never did. But can you believe how stoked I was to find that my hard-earned mastery of finger-knitting would turn into something so cute! I would never have thought to use fabric instead of yarn.

And last, but not least, is my attempt at home decor. I made a topiary. I was given 2 dozen white roses after my friend Ciara's wedding and that only got me this far...
So my amazing hubby got me 2 dozen more white roses for Mother's Day so I could finish my project. Actually, it was the day after Mother's Day and all the roses were half price. I'm all for that. So I dried them (they decorated every doorknob in the house for about a week) and then went buck-wild with the glue gun. Not bad for my first attempt.
However, in my glue gun zeal, I might have ruined a whole lot of several roses and ended up having to improvise. 'Cause that's what I do...
Walla!
Dried Rose petals and hot glue...

So now that you've ready my uber-long post on my crafts for the crafty-less, doesn't it make you want to take a nap, get out there and start all those crafts you've been stashing in your closet?
I know. You're welcome.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Love it! Everything looks awesome. I want you to move closer to me so that we can craft together. : )

Kelsey said...

Your projects look great! It definitely makes me craft hungry.