Friday, July 4, 2014

Texas, Utah, and the Long Drive Home

After Dan and I left Orange, we drove up to Dallas. Dan had a 3-week business trip already planned before we received news of his Dad's passing so we all ended up going to Texas instead of Dan flying down alone. His training classes started on the 5th so we stayed in his hotel before the boys and I drove to Utah and then Washington.

The boys loved the extended stay hotel and enjoyed pulling out all their toys again. Ethan gained a few more toys while at Grandpa Pelfrey's . She gave him all of Dan's old army men and he spent much of our time at the hotel setting up wars and battles.
We went out to eat at Chili's (because Dan and I love Chili's and there isn't one in Tri-Cities) and I saw this logo next door.
Does anyone else think that the Pottery Barn logo looks like Edna Mode from the Incredibles?
Maybe it's just me. I did listened to my boys watch The Incredibles about five times on this trip.

Since Dan had to stay in Dallas, we flew my Mom to TX so she could drive back with me. I wasn't too keen on driving 24 hours alone with the boys. She stayed with her brother Dave and my Aunt Tracy for the night before I picked her up and we headed out to New Mexico.

New Mexico is one booooring state to drive through. Nothin' but dirt.
 And dust devils. And random rock formations.
We stayed the night in Albuquerque and then made the last leg of our trip back to SLC.  At least Utah had some pretty scenery. 
Wilson's Arch 
The boys and I stayed in SLC for about a week doing all sorts of fun stuff with my parents. 
My Mom and I celebrated Mother's Day together by getting mani/pedi's at the mall and indulging in a little retail therapy. Dan and the boys got me a massage for Mother's Day as well so it was a very relaxed day.
 This was as close as I got for a Mother's Day picture. One kid trying to escape + the other yanking on my earring = One happy, blurry Mother's Day picture.
I did manage to track them down separately for some decent pictures though.
My parents and I took the boys to Scheel's, a gigantic sporting goods store, so they could ride the indoor ferris wheel and see the huge salt water fish tank.
Austin was too small to ride the ferris wheel so he hung out with Grandma Sue while we rode. I think Ethan was in kid heaven. He LOVED it and wanted to ride again and again.
We checked out the fish tank and Austin was so excited to see a "Mee-mo" fish. They both ran around trying to spot the Dory and Nemo fish after the first sighting.
Funnily enough, I don't think there are any fish in either picture.
They enjoyed riding in the car-carts, although they weren't thrilled about the waiting while Mommy shopped.
I love Scheels! They have photo ops points all over the place so here we have Ethan being silly and Austin making a...well, a typical goofball Austin face.
 My awesome, cancer-kicking sister raced in the Goldilocks 100-mile Bike Race while we were in town and we went to show our support for when she crossed the finish line. Unfortunately, due to bad weather and tired kids, we didn't get to be there when she arrived.

We visited with both my siblings and caught up with everyone. I love sitting down with my brother and sister and their families. It's always crazy to me how much their kids have grown since we last saw them. My oldest niece is almost 12!! I remember going to her baby blessing the day after a high school dance with my hair still in its updo!

We went up to my sister's house while she had a doctor's appointment and let the cousins run amuck together and get into all sorts of mischief that only cousins can achieve.
Austin found Blake's old fire engine scooter and followed his older cousins all around their circle. We had to retrieve him from down the street when he rolled away after them.
 This happened a lot at Grandma Sue's house. Austin would climb out of the pack-n-play where he was sleeping and get stuck between it and the bed. I'd hear him calling from down the hall, "Momma! Momma! I 'tuck! I 'tuck" and I'd have to go rescue him.
I caught Ethan singing his own special version of Frozen's "Let It Go" in my parents remodeled bathroom.
And a trip to Grandma Sue's and Papa's wouldn't be complete without a ride in the Jeep.
 They spent a good 45 minutes driving around the church parking lot in this thing. We only stopped when Austin started leaning over and pressing the gas pedal while Ethan was driving and the battery was dying.
Ethan nearly ran me over a couple of times.
I also got to visit with some of my best friends
Ciara and I have known each other since we worked in Jackson Hole, WY together the summer of 2007 and at USU afterward. We've been fast friends ever since and I just love this girl!  I loved seeing her and her cute kids.
I met up with Kamie and Suzanne (two of my best friends from high school) as well. I don't know why I didn't take any pictures but we all went out to lunch with our gang of children and caught up. Love those girls! I love how we've stayed close no matter how much time has passed by since we've last seen each other.

Finally, our trip came to an end and the boys and I made the long drive back to Pasco. I was sooooo glad to be back home and sleep in my own bed again. It's funny what three weeks away from home did to the kids. Austin kept bringing me toys and acting like he'd never seen them before and Ethan ran through the house yelling, "I forgot all the rooms, Mommy! I love our house!"

We were grateful for the time we were able to spend with family and friends in both Texas and Utah. We love you all!!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Hey English major, is "funnily" a word?! Thanks again for supporting me at the race. Sorry that the wind kicked my trash and my legs couldn't keep up with my half brained head. I loved seeing you and can't wait to see you again in a few weeks. Love ya!

Dan & Heather Pelfrey said...

Lol, yes! It's a word! I even googled it to double-check!

Cody Calderwood said...

That trip was even more action packed for you guys than I realized. Good fun.